Designed for students interested in learning about Latin America first hand, the “Latin American Studies Program at San Andrés” offers the possibility of choosing among a wide range of courses from different disciplines with Latin American Studies content.
With this program students will be able to get a deep knowledge of Latin America as a region and Argentina as a country in their chosen field of study. All of our courses are taught by full-time faculty, all of them accomplished scholars and professionals with experience teaching in foreign universities.
Exploring different aspects of Latin American history, culture, society and economy while being in Buenos Aires will give students a better acquaintance of what they are studying and, at the same time, enrich their study abroad experience.
Our programs complement a stimulating classroom setting with periodic experiential learning activities to introduce students to diverse aspects of life and culture in Argentina, from museum and theater visits to walks through the city and Tango classes.
The program curriculum seeks to enhance participants’ Spanish skills, expand their understanding of Latin America and the Argentine culture, and provide students with an ever-lasting experience.
The program allows you to enroll directly in classes at the Universidad de San Andrés with local students. In addition, it offers a Spanish Language and Culture class (Intermediate and Advanced level) designed specifically for international students.
Language of Instruction:
Most of the courses are taught in Spanish by full time faculty. We also have a limited amount of courses taught in English during the Semester.
Areas of Study:
Latin American Studies courses are offered in the following areas:
- Cinema Studies
- Law and Human Rights
- Art History
- Spanish Language
According to your interests, you can choose to focus in three different tracks:
(1) Latin American Literature, Arts and Culture.
(2) Latin American Society and Politics
(3) Latin American Economy and Business.
Course registration will not take place until you are in Buenos Aires. You, along with the help of the San Andrés staff, will plan your course schedule during orientation.
In a typical Semester, students take 3 to 4 courses.
1) Latin American Culture and Spanish Language Course (Intermediate or Advanced).
2) Elective course in Spanish in your chosen discipline.
3) Elective course in Spanish in your chosen discipline.
4) Elective course either in English or in Spanish.
- Enrich your university experience by developing relationships with Latin American students and faculty.
- Reach a broader knowledge of Latin America as a region and Argentina as a country in your chosen discipline.
- Earn credits for your major while increasing your proficiency in another language.
- Homestays, field trips, and lively classroom exchanges will expose you to the many realities of Latin America.
- Become equipped to critically examine and respond to global challenges.